It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Jacaranda time

This is what Spring looks like in Buenos Aires..
In a line, down the boulevard as far as you could see. . Jacaranda trees, blooming . Bees and birds and everyone were very happy about those trees.
It is quite a sight. I miss it.

We would have our morning coffee in the apartment, my husband reading the paper online, catching up on World events and then we were off for our own event, starting a new day in our new home.
We never got over that feeling .. that feeling of something new is waiting for us out there.
It is nice to have that sort of anticipation starting your day ..

That first year was almost overwhelming .. something new everywhere all the time. In another language. There were times that I clung to the dog at home and just waited for the feeling of All is Well, All is Calm to settle over me again.
With my husband and the dog there, it always settled over me again.

With the two of them, I was brave and full of a sense of adventure.
And each day brought so many new sights, sounds, tastes ! and happily, each day was good.
Even the days spent getting our paperwork in order, all those offices, all those waiting rooms, all those stamps on that little book.
I was looking at that little book this morning.
It needs a new stamp in it.

The Jacarandas lose their flowers and are full and green and leafy and home to birds nests and shade people when they sit in the park or wait at the bus stop.
They line the avenues .. long lines of purple flowered trees ..
I miss them.

3 comments:

  1. The first time I got married, in the mid-'80s, it was under jacaranda trees. And realizing there was no way I would arrive with a white dress still white in Africa, I chose a dress the color of jacarandas. My love for Africa and for jacarandas never wavered, never waned, but my love for the man withered and died long ago.
    It's beautiful to live in different places and to truly "get" different cultures, but you always are homesick for the places you left, and then you leave a new one and are homesick or it, too. Such is the expat life.
    I feel for you, though I haven't had as terrible a loss. I hope that you can live for the present and look to the future with your children nearby. They're the greatest blessing.
    Wishing you all the best!!!!! I love your blog!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, love jacarandas. We see them in southern Spain or Portugal. I miss them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Candice,
    Oh my, I would give something if we could have that sight in our garden!
    We loved it in South Africa, in Australia and in South America... also in Spain but we never managed to keep the young tree alive here in Georgia/USA. It took only one night with frost and it turned all black.
    They are incredibly beautiful! Loved all their petals on the streets while we were in South Africa. Words cannot even describe it...
    So I certainly understand what you mean by: 'I miss them.'
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger