It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new.
But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful.
There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power.
Alan Cohen
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Day After

Today is the day after my Birthday.

This calls for contemplation on Birthdays in the past, what I should have done yesterday ( shopped more) and what I should expect from future Birthdays.

Birthdays are more than milestones .. age markers.
At least they are for me.
In the past years, my Birthdays have been marked by Where I was, What we were planning, or better yet, Where we were planning to be.
In the past, when we lived in a house and had no immediate plans for a big move, like to another hemisphere, we would go to Paris or London on my birthday... sometimes we went to Las Vegas ... talk about laughing your way into that another  year older business.

One year my husband and I went to London for 2 weeks. On the weekend, we took the Channel Train to Paris for two nights, then back to London.
So many things stand out about that trip, the apartment we rented.
South Kensington, cul de sac, beautiful apartment, I would have lived there but the timing wasn't right.

Paris, my first time there.
I got a migraine as we arrived and it went away sometime in the night, leaving the next day a fog of pain killers and slight nausea.
But I still fell in love with Paris and 8 months later we went back .. which became our annual anniversary treat, 10 days in Paris.
No wonder we have been married 100 years !


Now we are living in Argentina.
Everything is still new in a lot of ways, there are so many places we have not been  yet.
But there are places that we know, we like and enjoy.
So yesterday was spent being silly at an over the top, beautiful hotel restaurant, sitting in the corner on a sofa and people watching, while having lunch and Bloody Marys.. shopping along the wide Avenues, that could remind a person of Paris if they reeeally squinted their eyes.

And dinner out in a beautiful restaurant where the waiter knows us, kisses us hello ( yes, us) and makes sure we are as happy as possible.

A walk home on a soft night with stars so close we could touch then and a half moon that was peeking between the buildings, lighting the way home.



Now I am beginning a new year.. this is Day 2 of my new year.
What am I going to do with it ?
How will I make it count?
What will there be  to show for it next March?

It is a good thing Birthdays only come once a year, all this Thinking can make a girl tired.
I will now go snuggle with the man and the dog and plan what to do on this beautiful day in Buenos Aires where  everyone else is on a holiday and the sun is shining.


I am sure a park and a cafe will be included in the activities.. and maybe the beginning of some plans for trips in the future..

2 comments:

  1. Happy to know you had a special day. Happy Birthday! Hope this is one full of happiness, plans and people to share it with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy one-day-late birthday! My best friend and I have this game we play. Starting from our birthday we have to do as many new things that year as our age, so each year the challenge rises. I tend to visit a lot of new places on day trips and she takes classes (has just finished bellydancing).

    Why not giving yourself a bit of a challenge for the coming year? But something fun, not serious!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome..Thank you.

Living in Argentina

Living in Argentina

Blog Archive

Pages

And Don't Forget To Visit Me Here Too !

See more photos here

sunset in Buenos Aires

Powered By Blogger